• Helping Our Community Stay Connected

How do I qualify for SafeLink Wireless?

The Lifeline program is available to eligible consumers in selected states and territories. Actual requirements vary by state, but in general to qualify for Lifeline, subscribers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

- Medicaid
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8)
- Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- The National School Lunch Program's Free Lunch Program
- Other assistance programs in your state.
To learn about the qualification criteria in your state select your state from the list on the right undert Support/FAQ.

How do I know if I am eligible?

All new subscribers must demonstrate that they are eligible. In some states, a subscriber's eligibility may be able to be confirmed through a database. Where a database is not available, subscribers must show proof or eligibility by demonstrating that they meet the income qualifications or participate in a qualifying program listed above.

Can I have SafeLink Wireless if I am enrolled in the Lifeline Program?

No, under FFC rules you may only be enrolled in a single Lifeline program pe household.

What does One Per Household mean?

Only ONE Lifeline service may be obtained per household."Household" is defined as any individual or group of individuals who live together at the same address as one economic unit. An "economic unit" is defined as "all adult individuals contributing to and sharing in the income and expenses of a household." Lifeline support is available to eligible low-income consumers living in group living facilities. Lifeline applicants may demonstrate when initially enrolling in the program that anu other Lifeline recipients residing at their residential address are part of a separate household. 

What do I do if I already have a Lifeline Phone Service?

You should contact you Lifeline provider to de-enroll from the Lifeline Program. Once you de-enroll is processed you can apply for SafeLink Wireless.

What do I do if I have more that one Lifeline phone service?

If you know that you are receving more that one Lifeline benefit per household, you shoul immediately contact one of the provider to de-enroll from one of the Lifeline programs. Under FFC rules, you may only be enrolled in a single Lifeline program pe household.

USAC - the group that administers the Lifeline program for the government- may notify you that you are enrolled in tow programs and the letter will explain that you are permitted to have one Lifeline subsidized phone service per household. The letter will explain that:

  • - You will have at least 30 days to choose wich subsidized phone service to keep.
  • - The company or companies not chosen by you must de-enroll you from Lifeline within five days after being notified of your choice by USAC.
  • However, to make sure the company you do not choose does not charhe you higher rates that you are not expecting, you must call the phone company you do not want as your Lifeline provider to either disconnect service entirely or to duscuss an appropiate non-Lifeline rate plan with the company.
  • - At the end of the process, you will have no more that one Lifeline-subsidized phone service.